RE: animals and humans (was "Evolution wars")

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 11:05:25 EST

    Adrian wrote: "It is extremely tempting to ascribe human emotions and
    thoughts to animals who behave like us, and as scientists, we have toextra
    careful and critical."

    I responded: While I agree, it is also very tempting to apply "nothing
    buttery" to the question and claim victory for "scientific objectivity,"

    AT: You seem to want to support two contradictory positions here.

    JB: Not at all. What I am suggesting is rule #1 of science -- "Consider ALL
    the evidence."

    AT: We need a set of criteria to prevent falling on either the side of
    radical skepticism or anthropomorphism. At the very least, one needs
    positive experimental evidence of higher cognitive abilities in animals,
    beyond mere naturalistic observations. To my knowledge, the most ambitious
    projects with such an aim are the sign language research on primates. And
    what we have after decades of research is that these animals are highly
    mechanical in their expressive language, and they do much better with
    receptive language. The discontinuity between modern humans and any other
    species is so striking that it would take an incredible leap of faith to
    sustain an argument for psychological
    continuity.

    JB: If one limits his considerations to only that narrow set of data
    represented by the above, you might be right (I have not studied it in any
    detail and so am agnostic on what that data might point to). But that set of
    data is not ALL the evidence, friend.

    If you read WHEN ELEPHANTS WEEP, we can have a discussion on some of (hardly
    all) of the additional data that pertains to the question. At least read the
    review in PERSPECTIVES or on my web site to see how the data is described.
    At that point you will understand my "nothing buttery" comment, at least.

    John W. Burgeson (Burgy)
    www.burgy.50megs.com

    >From: "Adrian Teo" <ateo@whitworth.edu>
    >To: "John Burgeson"
    ><burgythree@hotmail.com>,<rjschn39@bellsouth.net>,<asa@calvin.edu>
    >Subject: RE: animals and humans (was "Evolution wars")
    >Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 17:52:03 -0800
    >
    >Hello and Merry Christmas to you John,
    >
    > You wrote:
    >

    > Adrian wrote: "It is extremely tempting to ascribe human emotions and
    > thoughts to animals who behave like us, and as scientists, we have to
    > extra careful and critical."
    >
    > While I agree, it is also very tempting to apply "nothing
    >buttery" to the
    > question and claim victory for "scientific objectivity,"
    >

    > AT: You seem to want to support two contradictory positions here. Can't
    >have it both ways. We need a set of criteria to prevent falling on either
    >the side of radical skepticism or anthropomorphism. At the very least, one
    >needs positive experimental evidence of higher cognitive abilities in
    >animals, beyond mere naturalistic observations. To my knowledge, the most
    >ambitious projects with such an aim are the sign language research on
    >primates. And what we have after decades of research is that these animals
    >are highly mechanical in their expressive language, and they do much better
    >with receptive language. The discontinuity between modern humans and any
    >other species is so striking that it would take an incredible leap of faith
    >to sustain an argument for psychological continuity.
    >
    > Blessings,
    >
    > Adrian.

    Adrian wrote: "It is extremely tempting to ascribe human emotions and
            thoughts to animals who behave like us, and as scientists, we have to
            extra careful and critical."

            While I agree, it is also very tempting to apply "nothing
    buttery" to the
            question and claim victory for "scientific objectivity,"

            AT: You seem to want to support two contradictory positions here. Can't
    have it
    both ways. We need a set of criteria to prevent falling on either the side

    http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_smartspamprotection_3mf