Re: Does the Bible teach a flat earth?

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 12:03:27 EST

    Jim Wrote: "If Christianity is to survive, it is going to have to accept the
    Bible as a human document. I don't know how successful Christians will be
    with that approach, but its the only hope that they have."

    In this, Jim, you appear to be in substantial agreement with the process
    theologians Peacocke, Borg, Spong and Griffin. The latest books from the
    first and last of these four Christians were reviewed by me both in
    PERSPECTIVES and in an expanded article on Metanexus; copies are on my web
    site.

    I've read much of both Spong and Borg (not reviewed them however). Although
    I personally don't agree with much of their theology, I see theirs as a
    valid Christian worldview. The best book by Borg I have is the one he
    co-wrote with a conservative (orthodox) Christian as a back and forth debate
    over these issues.

    I recommend any and all of these authors to you.

    Burgy

    John W. Burgeson (Burgy)
    www.burgy.50megs.com

    >From: "Jim Eisele" <jeisele@starpower.net>
    >To: "Peter Ruest" <pruest@dplanet.ch>
    >CC: <asa@calvin.edu>
    >Subject: Re: Does the Bible teach a flat earth?
    >Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:48:37 -0000
    >
    >Peter writes
    >
    > >The Bible has to use the (flexible) language of the day, in a way
    > >compatible with God's intentions for _all_ of subsequent history.
    >
    >Peter, first I would like to commend you on your valiant effort to
    >reconcile Gen 1 with the Bible. In an age when Christians still
    >believe the earth is 6K old, your approach is noble.
    >
    >For the sake of Christianity, you may wish to cease making statements
    >like this, however. For the purposes of this list, I will only say
    >this (althought there are weightier problems with this angle) - the
    >Bible is way too long. The Christian message is all men are sinners
    >and need Christ to pay for their sins. Any perceived falsehood in
    >the Bible allows non-Christians to ignore its message (in Christian
    >terms, not get convicted of sin). This represents a contradiction.
    >God is supposed to be convicting non-Christians of sin, but because
    >of the falsehoods (I am simply tired of Christians explaining
    >inaccuracies as "figurative speech) they are turning their backs.
    >
    >If Christianity is to survive, it is going to have to accept the Bible
    >as a human document. I don't know how successful Christians will be
    >with that approach, but its the only hope that they have.
    >
    >Jim

    STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 3 months FREE*.

    http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_stopmorespam_3mf