RE: Evolution wars

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 00:31:43 EST

    Hello George,

            You wrote:
                    It was Vincent of Lerins, a younger contemporary of
    Augustince, who said that
            the catholic faith is what has been believed always,
    everywhere, and by all (_quod
            semper, quod ubique, quod ab omnibus est creditum_).

            AT: Thanks for the correction and refeshing my memory.

            George: This is certainly one helpful
            criterion but it has its limitations. One only has to recall
    "Athanasius against the
            world."

            AT: I understand the phrase "Athanasius contra mundum" not in
    the sense that Athanasius was the lone defender of orthodoxy, but
    that he was contending against the worldly powers - the Arian
    emperors and bishops, and those leaders who caved in to pressure and
    torture. Certainly, there were many bishops who supported Athanasius,
    especially in the west. If the prevailing majority opinion was Arian,
    then the council of Constantinople would have gone in a very
    diffferent direction than it did.

            George: The way in which important doctrines have developed
    over the course of time
            means that we can say that they have been held "always" only
    in a rather nuanced way.
            & "everywhere" clearly can't be taken too literally.
                    There is no scriptural promise that the church of
    Christ will be protected from
            all error, and history shows that it has not been. The
    promise is rather that the gates
            of Hell will not _prevail_ against the church. There will
    always be believers gathered
            around Christ in Word and Sacraments.

            AT: I beg to differ with you on this, but our difference of
    opinion is the result of differences in the traditions that we belong
    to. Although I am personally comfortable discussing these
    differences, I know that others on this list would find the issue
    sensitive and volatile. I think we should leave it at that.