Re: Does the Bible teach a flat earth?

From: Jim Eisele (jeisele@starpower.net)
Date: Sat Dec 21 2002 - 04:48:37 EST

    Peter writes

    >The Bible has to use the (flexible) language of the day, in a way
    >compatible with God's intentions for _all_ of subsequent history.

    Peter, first I would like to commend you on your valiant effort to
    reconcile Gen 1 with the Bible. In an age when Christians still
    believe the earth is 6K old, your approach is noble.

    For the sake of Christianity, you may wish to cease making statements
    like this, however. For the purposes of this list, I will only say
    this (althought there are weightier problems with this angle) - the
    Bible is way too long. The Christian message is all men are sinners
    and need Christ to pay for their sins. Any perceived falsehood in
    the Bible allows non-Christians to ignore its message (in Christian
    terms, not get convicted of sin). This represents a contradiction.
    God is supposed to be convicting non-Christians of sin, but because
    of the falsehoods (I am simply tired of Christians explaining
    inaccuracies as "figurative speech) they are turning their backs.

    If Christianity is to survive, it is going to have to accept the Bible
    as a human document. I don't know how successful Christians will be
    with that approach, but its the only hope that they have.

    Jim