Re: Identity of the ID designer

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 17:43:55 EST

    Howard wrote: "Two factors, however, sometimes make this difficult.

    1. The ID literature often entangles these two questions -- religious
    motivation and scientific merit -- both in its criticism of evolutionary
    naturalism and it its rhetoric favoring the idea of non-natural,
    form-conferring action by an unembodied, choice-making agent (a.k.a.
    "intelligent design").

    2. A person may find it difficult to treat any claim (whether made by
    Dembski or Dawkins) as if it were a purely scientific claim proceeding from
    purely scientific motivations when there are strong reasons for suspecting
    that the claim is in fact strongly motivated by religious (or
    anti-religious) factors."

    The ID literature I have read makes your first point pretty obvious.
    The interchanges I have had with George, where we posted at right angles to
    one another until I caved, makes the second point also pretty obvious.

    So I am going to stand silent on this one for awhile until I can find some
    way to pose my questions in a way that does not involve the IDers themselves
    and their literature.

    Have a blessed Christmas.

    John W. Burgeson (Burgy)
    www.burgy.50megs.com