Kick me (Was Re: Evolution wars)

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 09:45:06 EST

    Prof. Dini's position seems considerably stronger than is called for by
    considerations about good science & good medicine. This is not
    surprising if, as
    someone indicated, he is a kind of "militant atheist." & if that's
    the case, chatting
    with him in a positive way as Jack suggests is unlikely to produce
    any change in his
    attitude, though it would certainly be worth trying.

            But the primary focus of Christians in dealing with problems
    like this should
    not be on folks like Prof. Dini. Our major problem is opposition to
    evolution in the
    name of Christianity. There is a tremendous amount of scientific
    support for evolution,
    & it provides our best scientific understanding of life on earth.
    (Of course that
    doesn't mean present theories explain everything, are problem free
    &c.) Thus opposition
    to evolution marks people & groups as either ignorant, prejudiced, or
    dishonest - or
    some combination of these.

            Anyone who insists that Christians _must_ oppose evolution is
    putting the
    Christian faith in the position of being seen as ignorant,
    prejudiced, or dishonest by
    non-Christians. It's like placing a big "Kick Me" sign on the
    church's back. We can
    hardly be surprised if Dini, Dawkins, Weinberg &c accept the offer.
    A statement
    like Dini's would get no play at all if Christians simply said,
    "Sure, evolution is
    correct."

            Besides presenting a totally unnecessary offence to those
    outside the church,
    this also sets up young Christians for disaster. If they're told
    while growing up that
    they have to choose between Christianity and evolution, why should we
    be surprised that
    they abandon Christianity if they find out in high school or college
    that evolution
    seems to be correct? Matthew 18:6 is relevant here.

            (Some may object to my inclusion of dishonesty among reasons
    for opposing
    evolution. I do not have in mind anybody on this list in saying that
    but there are a
    few anti-evolutionists for whom the term seems appropriate.)

                                                    Shalom,
                                                    George

    --
    George L. Murphy