Re: Did Jesus know the genetic code?

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 17:44:57 EST

    "Alexanian, Moorad" wrote:

    > These sort of questions sound a bit strange in view of the
    >following verses: ’ÄùThrough Him all things were made; without Him
    >nothing was made that has been made.’Äù John 1:3. Moorad

             "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us" (John 1:14).

    the question isn't whether or not the eternal 2d Person of the
    Trinity knows certain things. It is whether the Word
    become flesh, Jesus of Nazareth, between ~ 4 B.C. & 30 A.D., knew
    that the earth was round, the genetic code, &c.
             The church's classic statements about Christ, God Incarnate,
    insist that while he is one divine person, he possesses everything
    proper to full human - as well as divine - nature.
    I.e. that he had a complete human body & mind & all functions proper
    to them. One then has to ask about the relationship between the
    infinite divine mind and the finite human one. One
    can argue that the human mind of Christ, while finite, had access to
    everything in the infinite divine mind, rather as a computer with
    relatively small memory might have access to the
    memory of another much larger computer. (Thomas V. Morris develops
    such an analogy in _The Logic of God Incarnate_.) But there is no
    compelling reason to say that this was indeed the
    case during Jesus' earthly life.
             It is obvious that Jesus did not make use of full, unlimited,
    divine abilities in everything he did on earth. He normally got from
    one place to another by walking, not by
    utilizing divine omnipresence.
    The question then is whether those divine powers were simply "hidden"
    most of the time or whether in assuming human nature he in fact
    "emptied himself" of them, as Phil.2:5-11 suggests. I
    think that the latter type of "kenotic" theology is closer to the
    truth. But as I said in my earlier post, we do not in fact know
    enough about the historical Jesus' consciousness, memory
    &c to be able to make dogmatic statements about this.

    Shalom,

    George