Re: Jacob--again: Was Evolution etc.

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 11:11:35 EST

    In my reply to Rich, below, I neglected to focus on an important feature =
    of the oracle to Rebbekah in Gen. 25:23. Here is it in full, in Alter's =
    translation:

         Two nations--in your womb,
           two peoples from your loins shall issue.
         People other people shall prevail, =20
           the elder, the younger's slave.

    Let me comment briefly on it. Augustine's interpretation that this =
    oracle refers to Israel's subsequent hegemony over its neighbor Edom, =
    with which it was often in conflict, makes the most sense and is =
    commonly accepted, whether one interprets it proleptically or as a =
    prophecy, for it explicitly refers to the peoples who descend from each =
    brother; thus the geneology of Esau in chap. 36 assumes an importance =
    because of this subsequent history. That is why the translation of the =
    last line that Rich defends is the usual and accepted one. But this =
    text, it seems to me, is multivalent. On the level of the two sons of =
    Isaac and Rebbekah, the ambiguity of meaning I noted earler makes more =
    sense, as the subsequent stories of these two brothers illustrates.

    Bob Schneider

    ----- Original Message -----=20