Fw: [CLIPPINGS] The Guardian (London): Science in search of God; Face To Faith

From: Michael Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 15:39:57 EDT

    This might change the subject
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Stacey Ake" <ake@METANEXUS.NET>
    To: <CLIPPINGS@LISTSERV.METANEXUS.NET>
    Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 4:39 PM
    Subject: [CLIPPINGS] The Guardian (London): Science in search of God; Face
    To Faith

    > The Guardian (London) August 25, 2001
    > Copyright 2001 Guardian Newspapers Limited
    > The Guardian (London)
    > August 25, 2001
    > SECTION: Guardian Leader Pages, Pg. 24
    >
    > LENGTH: 950 words
    >
    > HEADLINE: Science in search of God;
    > Face To Faith
    >
    > BYLINE: Denis Alexander
    >
    > BODY:
    >

    > When I worked at the American University Hospital, in West Beirut, during
    > the Lebanese civil war, shells often whizzed over our heads. Minutes
    later,
    > a salvo would be returned in the opposite direction, and the first
    > casualties would be rushed into emergency. We usually had no idea why the
    > shelling had started, nor why it stopped.
    >
    > Being a Christian in the scientific community is somewhat analogous. Now
    and
    > again, some Texan creationist lobby will make a fresh attempt to ban the
    > teaching of evolution in schools. Amid scientific howls of protest,
    > Professor X writes another book claiming that science supports an
    atheistic
    > worldview. As the shells are lobbed between the extremist camps, the
    public
    > impression that science and religion are at loggerheads is reinforced.
    > Meanwhile, the silent majority - those many scientists who hold to
    religious
    > faith - look on in wonder. Generally, we are simply too busy to engage in
    > such debates. In my case, however, I got so fed up with the antics of the
    > extremists that I ended up writing a book - Rebuilding The Matrix: Science
    > And Faith In The 21st Century (published this weekend).
    >
    > The fact of the matter is that when it comes to religious faith,
    scientific
    > communities reflect the societies in which they are embedded - as for
    nearly
    > a century, 40% of American scientists believe in a personal God who
    answers
    > prayer. The level of belief is highest among practitioners of the hard
    > sciences, such as physics and geology, lower for the soft sciences, such
    as
    > anthropology. The UK has organisations such as Christians in Science, and
    UK
> [...]
    > which it is described.
    >
    > Likewise, the monotheistic religions make truth-claims about history and
    > human nature that can be assessed by a review of the evidence and rational
    > discourse. In talking about scientific data one moment, and the evidence
    for
    > Christian faith the next, there is no need to change one's mind-set.
    >
    > None of these explanations for the contemporary affinities between science
    > and faith should be taken as justifying the use of science in arguments
    for,
    > or against, religious belief. Attempts have often been made to utilise the
    > prestige of scientific theories to prop up particular personal ideologies.
    > Darwinian evolution has been used to justify capitalism, communism,
    racism,
    > and a number of other isms'. This is an abuse of science; evolution is an
    > excellent theory to explain the origins of biological diversity, but it
    has
    > little or no religious significance - it can be placed equally well within
    > an atheistic or theistic context.
    >
    > The big theories of science - like evolution and Big Bang cosmology - tend
    > to become encrusted with all kinds of religious and scientific barnacles.
    > But these should be scraped off to let the theories do what they are good
    at
    > doing - and no more. For the Christian, God can bring about his intentions
    > any way he chooses, and all that scientists can do is try to describe how
    he
    > did it.
    >
    > For all its explanatory powers, science is very limited in the kind of
    > questions that it can address well: how things work, problems amenable to
    > quantification, and deriving general laws about the properties of matter.
    > But many types of human knowledge do not make their way into scientific
    > journals - such as aesthetics, ethics, history, political theory and
    > ultimate questions ( Is there a God?', Does life have any meaning?').
    > Scientists are as interested in them as anyone else. But they do not
    > comprise part of their science.
    >
    > Science continually throws up questions it is unable to answer: ethical
    > questions, questions about the application of science, questions about
    human
    > identity. Christian theism provides a matrix which affirms the validity of
    > scientific knowledge, while undergirding human values at a time when
    > scientific discoveries for many people may appear threatening and
    > dehumanising.
    >
    > Dr Denis Alexander is chairman of the molecular immunology programme at
    the
    > Babraham Institute, and a fellow of St Edmund's College, Cambridge. He
    edits
    > the journal Science and Christian Belief

    > This clipping service is provided by Metanexus: The Online Forum on
    Religion and Science <http://www.metanexus.net>. To comment on this
    article, go to the browser-based forum at the bottom of all postings for our
    magazine on our web site at <http://www.metanexus.net>. Metanexus also
    publishes NEWS with announcements of events and opportunities, VIEWS with
    commentaries and book reviews, and MONTHLY with a monthly digest, as well as
    hosting a variety of discussion lists. Please send all URLs, inquiries,
    and submissions to Dr. Stacey Ake, Associate Editor of Metanexus at
    mailto:ake@metanexus.net.