Re: Discontinuity Conference Report

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 20:28:34 EDT

    Allen Roy wrote:

    > > The second presentation
    > > was by David Fouts on Discontinuity in Genesis One, which resulted in
    > > massive note-taking by a number of us. He discussed the various forms and
    > > ways in which 'yom' is used throughout the Bible as well as the use of
    > > 'evening and morning,' 'and it was so,' 'let there be,' and the word
    > 'min'.
    > > To make a long story short, the conclusion was that the grammatical
    > > structure and use of words in Genesis 1 leave no room for anything but the
    > > clear and unambiguous intended meaning of six literal 24-hour days. The
    > > last presentation of the first morning was by John Mark Reynolds who
    > > discussed the philosophical foundations of discontinuity, with special
    > > emphasis on the Greek philosophers.

            A classic example of missing the forest for the trees. It's like doing
    a detailed grammatical analysis to show that hodo in Lk.10:31 can mean only a
    literal road & then concluding that the story of the Good Samaritan is
    historical narrative. >s between basic life forms predates Darwin and has been

    > > He also presented two novel ideas (at least to me). The first was that we
    > > might want to consider the question 'why' in relation to a basic type.
    > For
    > > instance, "Why was the dog type created?" His response was that is might
    > > have something to do with the Creator revealing something about Himself -
    > in
    > > the dog type perhaps companionship. Felines were perhaps expressing
    > > something about majesty (although the housecat may simply be trying to
    > fake
    > > it..grin - my comment).

            & cockroaches? I don't think much of independent natural theology in
    general but there is natural theology & then there is natural theology. In
    comparison with this, Paley was a Doctor of the Church.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/