Re: Homosexuality

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 21:16:59 EDT

    On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, george murphy wrote:

    > But it is theologically invalid to cite OT
    > passages that call male homosexual behavior an "abomination" (with fine
    > disregard for the fact that eating shellfish is in the same category) & think
    > that that settles the matter.

    What is the case in an English translation may not be the case in the
    original. The Hebrew word translated as abomination in the dietary laws of
    Leviticus 11 is different from the word translated the same way with
    reference to sodomy, idolatry, spiritism, etc. Although I am certainly not
    an authority on the precise meaning of these two words, the fact that the
    OT is consistent in using one word in connection with the dietary laws and
    the other word in relation to these other behaviors seems to strongly
    suggest that there was a real difference in meaning between these two
    words.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado