RE: Sunday observance (was Homosexuality (a condition) and homose xual activities)

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 16:22:54 EDT

    Iain,

    <snip>
    I know - it does seem hypocritical - though I would say that this is only
    done on occasions and not as a regular thing. I gave it as an example of
    how we all often unthinkingly do things that the rest of society does,
    without considering it from a Biblical perspective. (Which would appear to
    be the Fourth Commandment, though that raises the issue of whether
    Christians ought to treat Saturday as the Sabbath - and some I know do so,
    feeling that the move to Sunday was a pagan influence. That is a knotty
    issue that I don't really want to get bogged down in. The Fourth
    commandment specifies a day of rest - which one we nowadays arbitrarily
    choose does not seem to be of such importance as the general principle).
    <snip>

    I didn't use the word "hypocritical;" I used "interesting." ;-) But, as you
    point out, there are a lot of times when we follow the rest of society
    without giving much thought to looking at things from a Biblical
    perspective. This not only applies to Sunday observance but often to
    commerce, our driving habits, to name a few.

    As you say, when you are on business, you don't really have much choice but
    to use hotel/restaurant, etc. However in UK, Sunday shopping have been just
    adopted by large numbers of people uncritically, and it becomes their normal
    day of shopping. 24/7 is indeed a modern buzz phrase. I think it's this
    that I object to, plus the fact that people have to give up their Sundays to
    work - whether this means that Sunday workers have extra time off on another
    day, I don't know.

    I object to all this commercializing on Sundays as well and I'm not so sure
    that, as a society, we are better off with the freedom to be able to buy a
    pint of lager, a can of paint, or a sports jacket on Sunday. The downside
    is that family life is disrupted and, for some, attendance at Sunday worship
    services becomes difficult. I'm convinced that God, in His wisdom, decreed
    that we should take some time off to recharge our batteries.

    It so happens I work at Harwell. Perhaps I'll bump into you some time?

    I've only been there once, some 15 years ago. Arrived Sunday morning (!) at
    the UKAEA Staff Hotel :-( [you'll know what I mean], walked to the village
    of Harwell and attended an Anglican service.

    Chuck