Re: Is Jonah to be taken literally?

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 10:18:19 EDT

    Vernan asked: "I presume you would also question the Lord's belief in the
    writings of Moses and the prophets (expressed by Father Abraham -
    Lk.16:31), on the basis that he - the Creator - was obviously unaware of
    the Theory of Evolution."

    Not sure of your point here. Maybe I'm brain-challenged this morning. Try
    again, being more specific on what you are asking.

    One question that might be pertinent is this: Was Jesus aware during his
    earthly life of the "true" history of the earth, or did he have the
    conventional understandings of other Jewish people of his day?

    Specifically, if I were to go back in time, meet Jesus, and ask him his
    outlook on relativity theory, or quantum mechanics, or the "old earth vs
    YEC, would he have any idea of what I was talking about?

    I suggest that he would not have. But I'd listen to arguments on the
    other side.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)