Re: Is Jonah to be taken literally?

From: Guy Blanchet (guyblanchet@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 05:25:04 EDT

    Mr. Jenkins,

    I agree that none of us possess the raw power at the intellectual and wisdom level
    to separate the entire contents of the Bible into what is historical and what is
    non historical. It is very interesting how certain 'stories' rate so poorly on
    the credibility scale, namely the Jonah fish story, and the sun-standing-still
    story. I agree with you that putting a doubt sticker on the historicity of these
    and any other 'stories' merely opens the door to more doubt. One only has to
    consider the extreme conclusions of the Jesus Seminar in order to see the power of
    doubt at work. On one occasion Billy Graham expressed his frustration toward this
    pick-and-chose attitude by saying: "I would believe the Bible even if it said that
    Jonah swallowed the fish".

    As you suggest, the safe road to take is that if you have no real solid reasons to
    doubt, then believe. By solid I mean that if Jesus were to personnally ask
    someone to stake his life on the myth option, that the challenged indivual would
    do so without his knees banging together and without stuttering.

    What use would God have for a mythical fish story to explain the very real problem
    of the Jews' non acceptance of Gentiles as being equal in His eyes? Parables use
    stories in a particular way. These stories are chosen because of the parallels
    they bring out. They simplify by making comparisons between familiar events and
    spiritual matters, for example between a farmer sowing seeds, and the different
    ways people receive the Word. A common everyday event is used to clarify a
    no-so-intellectually graspable spiritual reality. The sower is understood to be a
    generic farmer. No need to call him farmer John or farmer Jim. Any farmer will
    do. And neither are we concerned if his remains, complete with the seed bag still
    on his shoulder, have never been dug up. Jonah on the other hand is not a
    generic person and the fish scene is not a commonplace one helping to understand
    the message. It therefore compels one to consider this event as historical.

    The myth solution is to be avoided. Isn't the Christian faith based on facts: the
    rolled stone, the ressurection, the accomplished prophesies, the written Word, the
    miracles, the changed lives of those seeking God, and creation itself ?

    Regards