Re: Is Jonah to be taken literally?

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 18:58:40 EDT

    John et al,

    Concerning this issue, it seems highly desirable that all correspondents
    recall the words of the Lord as they are recorded in Mt.12:38-41, viz

    "Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying,
    Master, we would see a sign from thee. But he answered and said unto
    them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there
    shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: For as
    Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the
    Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The
    men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall
    condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and behold,
    a greater than Jonas is here."

    The record of Jonah's experiences is part of the Canon of Holy Writ -
    experiences that are here clearly ratified by Jesus himself. Is it
    reasonable to believe that he would offer a _myth_ as the 'sign' of his
    own death and resurrection? The idea, I suggest, is unthinkable - for
    what other of his sayings then come under critical scrutiny?

    Isn't Christendom in a confused enough state already? Why can we not
    accept the words of the Lord at their face value? It appears that many
    are able to accept some miracles, but not others! This appears to be a
    purely arbitrary matter. But perhaps I am missing something. Is there in
    this a logical principle that distinguishes one biblical event from
    another? Perhaps those who believe there is will respond.

    Sincerely,

    Vernon