RE: Jonah et al

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 17:47:17 EDT

    Lucy,

    A few comments:

    1. There are only a limited number of ways by which you and I (by God's
    grace) were made aware of the His saving faith: we were either taught at
    home, in schools, and/or in church. My guess is that, for most of us, the
    Bible played an important role as an instruction manual for us, our parents,
    and the clergy. If, as you suggest, all Bibles on this planet were converted
    into ashes, YOUR faith might not be shaken, nor that of your children, but
    within a few generations we'd be back in the days before the printing press
    was invented, or worse, because the clergy still had access to the Bible at
    that time. History tells us what happened when access to the Bible is
    limited: we'd probably be back into selling and buying indulgences in no
    time at all. I think we can safely assume that God gave us the Bible as His
    revelation and that, by removing the Bible from the equation, we'd be left
    with "tradition."

    2. To touch on your example of the interpretation that goes into
    translations of the Bible. Obviously, this happens or we would not have
    that many versions. But, if there is some latitude in translating Jesus'
    activity on/near/by the water (I did not take New Testament Greek), what
    would the point of the story be if Jesus had simply walked along or by the
    water?

    3. I agree that the Bible is not "God" nor should we venerate it as if it
    were.

    4. You may be aghast that some denominations set pretty stiff entrance
    exams as a requirement to be a member and, by extension, to eternal life
    (from a human perspective). Just look at some of the home pages of the more
    conservative denominations (I won't name any) that stipulate a belief in a
    literal, six-day creation. This does not mean that one cannot be taught in
    churches belonging to these denominations. Is it bad planning? That all
    depends on what the plan is. There are many "mainline" denominations that
    are pretty flexible. If church growth is their goal, they're not doing so
    well, by and large. Ideally, we should perhaps all return to the fold of the
    (Roman) Catholic church and accommodate the wide range of interpretations.
    It would also, conveniently, answer many of the questions on homosexuality
    that Burgy posted (and I am being quite serious here). As I mentioned in an
    earlier post, since we don't know what the Bible is trying to tell us (other
    than that Christ died for sinners and we can't even agree on how many
    sinners He died for), are we deluding ourselves by interpreting that which
    should not be interpreted?

    Chuck