RE: Is Jonah to be taken literally?

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 09:56:26 EDT

    George,

    Yes, I recall your previous e-mail on this. But you base your view on Jonah
    on the "literary character of the book." I don't, for a moment, disagree
    that it "... contains obvious exaggerations." but can the same argument not
    be made for many of the Biblical records? The OT is full of descriptions
    of, what we call, "miraculous events," from Baalam's talking donkey to
    Daniel and his friends strolling in a fiery furnace. What are we to make of
    these, and other, passages? Did the miracles ascribed to the prophets
    really happen, are they included in the Scriptures to indicate that the
    prophets were "men (and women) of God," (sort of a fancy business card) or
    must they be read as being allegorical?

    Without going into the character (literary, historical, poetic) of the
    Scriptures (for which very of us have the time), separating fact from
    fiction becomes very difficult. Almost like having a framed Picasso and not
    knowing where the painting ends and the frame starts.

    You end with "The Bible certainly contains historical narrative as an
    essential part of it's revelation of God acting in history, most pointedly
    in the Incarnation. But that does not mean that "historical narrative"
    should be our default setting for reading all parts of scripture, and that
    we should vary from that only when compelled to by overwhelming scientific
    or historical evidence."

    Trouble is, how can we tell? Admittedly, we read the Bible through 20th
    century eyes and with a mindset that reflects our current culture. The only
    times we have trouble with a literal interpretation, I submit, is when what
    we read is at variance with our understanding that arises from outside the
    Scriptures. Thus, a pre-schooler may have no problems with a literal
    interpretation of the creation account, with a rib taken from Adam's side to
    create a wife for him, or with the flood and "the animals, two-by-two."
    Once that pre-schooler becomes a biologist, geologist, or historian, (s)he
    has to reconcile the apparent differences between a literal interpretation
    and her/his view of reality. Your comments on Jonah are a good example: if
    one hasn't got a clue how big Nineveh was, a 3-day journey may not have been
    an exaggeration. Maybe it was "Greater Nineveh." ;-)

    So, maybe we are dealing with a continuum of stories, from allegory to
    undeniable historical events and, maybe, it's up to us to place each story
    along this continuum. As I've mentioned before, maybe it's just as well
    that there is no physical evidence (other than Scriptures) of the events
    that constituted the incarnation, death, and resurrection of our Lord, so we
    are free, by faith, to put it at the d "historical event" end of this
    continuum.

    Chuck Vandergraaf