Re: Is Jonah to be taken literally?

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 16:02:10 EDT

    Joel asked: "OK, I'll bite...Why would a literal reading of Jonah cause
    you to reject Christianity?"

    What I said was (I think) is that if "Christianity" insisted on me
    accepting Jonah as a literal, historical story, accurately told, then I'd
    have to reject that particular version of Christianity.

    If Christianity asks me to use Jonah as a myth, parable, or such, and I
    think it does, then I have no problem with that.

    As a literal, historical account, it is simply too far fetched to
    believe. That does not say that there may not have been an interesting
    incident behind the story. But that's about it.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)