Re:Math applications; was Wheel of God

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 16:10:56 EDT

    Sorry to break this off, but this part involves something on which a
    comment is warranted. First, math is a broad area in which all the
    statements are "true in all possible worlds." This applies to arithmetic
    and number theory, geometry, the calculus, complexity theory, and all the
    rest of the special areas. This does not mean that all the theorems apply
    equally to all situations. Both "one line parallel to a given straight
    line can be drawn through a point on the plane not on the given line" and
    "there are no parallel lines" cannot be true when applied within any
    world simultaneously. They hold only in Euclidean and Riemannian
    geometries. Something similar holds for ordinary and modular arithmetics.

    Since within a specific mathematical calculus or system all statements or
    theorems are proved "true," if a set of interpreted statements holds, one
    may interpret other theorems in the expectation that they will also yield
    physical truths. There is no guarantee that the process will yield an
    unending series of truths. Changes may be required at some point. This is
    seen most obviously in Newton's work, which may be viewed as an
    interpreted Euclidean geometry. Everything worked for a couple of
    centuries. But the next step was Einstein's interpreted Riemannian
    geometry (Special Theory) which provided for Newton's results as a
    limiting case. The math gets stickier with the General Theory.

    As I see it, the problem from the empirical side is collecting enough
    data on which a discipline can be based; on the theoretical, a system
    that fits the observations, so that predictions can be made. This leads
    to expansion and testing. I recall a report in the 50s that the
    mathematics of something Einstein produced was so difficult that only
    three persons living had the background to understand it. One of them had
    taken the time to work through the math (18 months ?) and announced that
    it was consistent. The report quoted him, "I'm only a mathematician. I
    can't comment on the physics." I'm only a philosopher, so I don't know
    what Einstein had presented, nor whether it was an advance or a dead end.
    But I suspect that one reason the applicability of mathematics is lauded
    is that the dead ends are not pursued and are soon forgotten. This type
    of selectivity certainly functions in other areas of human recall. So I'm
    not too surprised that our mathematics fit the world.
    Dave

    in part