Re: The Wheel of God

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 17:28:45 EDT

    "iain.strachan2" wrote:

    > > George said: "But let's follow up the physics analogy. Where the
    > > Omega-minus? I.e., does your scheme predict any novel theological
    > > result? "
    > >
    > > I had not thought of that angle. Good point.
    > >
    > Personally I do not think this is a good point at all. If the numerical
    > analysis started producing "novel" theology that was different from what we
    > understand already, I would regard it as a dangerous practice, leading to
    > cult formation, and would distance myself from it as far as possible. It
    > has to harmonize with what the text says on the surface, or else it is the
    > work of the devil.

            Note that I was responding to an analogy that had been posed between
    symmetry in physics & that in a classification scheme for the Bible. My
    response has to be understaood in that light. Having said that, I would add
    that there are senses in which novel theology is desirable & even necessary.
            Of "novel" isn't the same as true. There can be novel heresies - though
    most are repristinations of tired old ones. & by "novel theological result" I
    didn't mean something like "discovering" the 4th Person of the Trinity!
            But there can be new ways of seeing old issues - Karl Barth's doctrine
    of election is a good example. & there can be new insights into the way the
    Bible should be read which may lead to significant changes in Chriatian practice
    - e.g., the ordination of women. Of course there will be debate among
    Christians about whether or not those insights are correct. (For what it's
    worth, I think both basically are.)

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy