More on pi

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 13:56:36 EDT

    On Cliff Pickover's LISTSERV, Derek Ross posted another interesting (to
    me) idea:
    ----------------------
    "Do the digits of pi encode every one of us -- the atomic coordinates of
    all our atoms and all our memories? If the coordinates of an atom require
    real numbers, which are infinite in expansion, then pi will not be able
    to contain the coordinates of a group of atoms, let alone a single real
    number."

    I'm not sure I buy that argument, for sice pi is infinitely expandable,
    should it not be able to hold a finite number of infinite numbers?

    Derek posted some web pages of interest:

    http://www.cecm.sfu.ca/organics/papers/borwein/
    "Ramanujan, Modular Equations, and Approximations to Pi or How to compute
    One Billion Digits of Pi"

    http://gryphon.ccs.brandeis.edu/~grath/attractions/gpi/
    "Search In 10 Million Digits of Pi Page"

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)