Pickover book

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 10:38:56 EDT

    The following post was made to the Cliff Pickover LISTSERV and reflects
    more on what might be lurking in the infinite expansion of pi.

    "Pickover's book Keys to Infinity contains many thought-provoking
    insights into infinite sequences, including the digits of Pi. A truly
    random infinite sequence will have to contain strings of all possible
    finite patterns. Meaning, at some point in Pi's sequence, the string of
    "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8" will have to crop up, or any other sequence we find
    meaning in. Which leads to this mind-boggling thought:

    Is the entire binary operating system code for Microsoft's Windows 98
    guaranteed to be contained somewhere within Pi's infinite sequence? ...

    Cliff's question: "does pi specify every one of us -- the atomic
    coordinates of all our atoms, all our thoughts, all our memories. If so,
    then all of us are alive, and hopefully happy, in pi. Pi makes us live
    forever. We all lead virtual lives in pi. We are immortal."

    Mind boggling!! April"

    John Burgeson (Burgy)(who must be in there somewhere)

    www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)