Glenn 3rd

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 13:38:07 EST

    I think that a few of the recent posts have touched on an important way in which the Bible is distinct from extreme examples such as the Book of Mormon. Although we do not have detailed archaeological evidence in many cases, the Biblical account is compatible with what we know about the ancient near east, with a general trend of increasing confirmation (e.g., the Hittites existed). In contrast, the Book of Mormon claims that civilizations, technologies, and animals were widespread in North America of which there is no trace.

    There is a little evidence for the plausibility of the partig of the Sea of Reeds. A study around the early 1980's or so determined that one of the lakes on the Egypt-Sinai border would be parted by just the right wind.

        Dr. David Campbell
        "Old Seashells"
        Biology Department
        Saint Mary's College of Maryland
        18952 E. Fisher Road
        St. Mary's City, MD 20686-3001 USA
        dcampbell@osprey.smcm.edu, 301 862-0372 Fax: 301 862-0996
    "Mollusks murmured 'Morning!'. And salmon chanted 'Evening!'."-Frank Muir, Oh My Word!