Re: Adam never met Eve

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 02:25:45 EST

    Glenn wrote,

    << Let's take your scenario to illustrate what I see as the two different
     reactions of the conservatives on the one hand and liberals on the other.
     This case is fascinating because there is NO archaeological evidence for the
     Exodus, especially one with so many people.

     The conservative, in order to maintain his belief and avoid leaving
     Christianity, can reject the total lack of scientific observation as being
     important. This is what they do with creation. THey reject the observational
     data that contradicts their views or say it really isn't important.

     The liberal on the other hand, in order to maintain his belief and avoid
     leaving christianity, will say that the Exodus was not meant to be taken
     literally--it was meant to teach us about humans and the human conditions
     and our relationship to God. It simply doesn't have to be historical.

     This is why I reject both approaches. They are heads I win, tails you lose
     approaches. >>

    I would like to point out that rejecting a lack of evidence is in no way
    comparable to rejecting evidence. Because there is no archaelogical evidence
    for the Exodus leaves the issue open. As Edwin Yamauchi points out in his
    book The Stones and the Scriptures, only a minute fraction of the
    archaeological data has been investigated. Consequently, it should be borne
    in mind that with archaeology, the absence of evidence is not evidence of
    absence. The conservative has at least a valid academic right to say the
    _lack_ of archaeological evidence does not disprove anything. There will
    probably never be archaeological evidence for Abraham, Isaac or Jacob or many
    other figures in ancient history; but, that does not give anyone the academic
    right to say they never lived.

    Best wishes,

    Paul