RE: Adam never met Eve

From: glenn morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 13:29:19 EST

    Hi Howard,

    I simply don't agree that it is 'bibliolatry' to expect that there is some
    objective information in the Scripture. I have asked this sequence of
    questions before but will do it again.

    1. If there was no evidence for ancient Egypt, Sumer, the Hebrews, King
    David, Babylon, the exile etc. would one really see the Bible as being worth
    anything?

    I don't think so. If everything in the OT was wrong or without evidence, no
    one would pay attention to it. I don't pay attention to the book of Mormon
    because almost everything in it is objectively wrong--but it has great moral
    teachings.

    If we decide to change the interpretation of the Bible away from objective
    reality and make it only a book of morality tales, let's read Aesop's
    fables.

    2. How much of the Bible can be objectively false and still believe that it
    really is the communication of an omnipotent God?

    Can we be told that the mating of two salamanders created the world and
    understand it as a beautiful story of creation showing God's love and
    concern?

    3. If we move away from objective data, what, other than our personal
    prejudices from our own culture, makes Christianity any different than
    Bhuddism, sikkism or animism?

    All of the above religions yield "valuable religious insights " just
    different ones from Judeo-Christianity. Why should we try to tell them our
    religion is the true one when all playing fields have been leveled by this
    flight from objective data?

    glenn

    see http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm