A book review

From: John Burgeson (burgy@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 10:45:05 EDT

    Here is a review of a book worth reading for
    those interested in issues of origins and the ID concept.

    Burgy

    CG.TXT

    Calculating God by Robert J. Sawyer. New York, NY: Tom Doherty Associates, LLC, 2000. 150 pages.
    Hardcover; $23.95.

    What are the implications of a "successful" Intelligent Design research program?
    What might happen to humanity's concept of God if ID became the pervasive philosophy of science?

    This book, science-fiction, investigates these questions. It is easy reading, light reading
    for those of us who have thought about origins issues for some years and are familiar with
    most of the personalities and arguments involved. The author treats Christians
    (but not fundamentalists) respectfully but without real understanding of Christian theology.
    The end point is, as one might guess after a few pages, a god who is simply a super-being.

    Yet, I recommend this book to my ASA colleagues. It spells out some of the perils of
    where ID may lead us. For better or for worse, ID is here to stay and it behooves us to
    consider its full implications. This book helped me do that. It is hardly a "keeper" for a
    personal library, but it definitely belongs in an institutional one.

    John Burgeson
    Stephen Minister
    First Presbyterian Church
    Durango, Colorado