Re: Meteor Program

From: Keith Littleton (littlejo@vnet.net)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 11:05:09 EDT

    On Wed Aug 02 2000 - 00:45:02 EDT and
    in " Re: Meteor Program," Diane Roy
    (Dianeroy@peoplepc.com) wrote:

    >The point at which all the asteroids which made impact
    >craters exploded is below ground level. This shields
    >the immediate area from the bright flash which
    >accompanies air and surface blasts that causes
    >intense heat and instant burning. Most of the energy is
    >released upward.

    I would suggest that Diane Roy skim through:

    Melosh, H. J. (1989) Impact cratering; a geologic process.
    Oxford Monographs on Geology and Geophysics. no. 11,
    Oxford University Press. Oxford, United Kingdom. 245 pp.

    The proposal that "Most of the energy is released upward"
    is simply not true. Energy is converted into blast impact
    waves that be very destructive to anything and anybody
    nearby. Energy is also converted in seismic waves that
    would create massive earthquakes. The ionization of gases
    at the instant of impact and the massive ejection of
    molten material from the vaporization of the meteorite
    and the target rock would produce a brilliant light
    flash in ultraviolet, visible, and infrared. The infrared
    wavelengths would cause a thermal radiation impulse whose
    fire-ignition effects would be subject to the scaling-
    law function (King 1976).

    For example, the thermal pulse from a stoney-iron
    meteorite with a diameter of only 175 meters (574 feet)
    would ignite vegetation in a radius of 47 km. The seismic
    response to even this small of asteroid would be
    equivalent to either the San Francisco or Alaskan Good
    Friday earthquake. Destructive blast waves would have
    extended as far as 96 km from the impact. If this
    meteorite hit shallow water, a tsunami wave 140 to 285
    meters (459 to 935 feet) high would result. (Neathery
    et al. 1997). This is what a small meteorite will do.

    ... text deleted ...

    >All asteroid impacts creating impact craters are the
    >same as un-contained underground blasts. These
    >asteroids are so big that the air does not cause
    >enough compression. It is only after entering the
    >ground that critical mass is reached. The blast
    >of an un-contained underground blast is even less
    >destructive than a surface blast.

    According to King (1976) and Melosh (1989) the blast
    is not fully contained underground. A large impacting
    meteorite will create immense lateral blasts and
    earthquakes that will make life quite unpleasant
    in the region of an impact.

    >The bright flash is fully contained underground,
    >so instant fires cannot happen.

    Ionization of the atmosphere will occur as well the
    ejection of massive amounts of molten material from
    the crater will create thermal effects that will
    cause instant fires. Anybody who doesn't believe me
    can check the discussion on the topic in King (1976)
    and Melosh (1989)

    >The shock wave is directed almost entirely upward.
    >A much diminished shock wave does follow along on
    >the ground. Most of the energy of the blast is
    >absorbed into moving the earth outward and upward.

    This might be true, but with the enormous energy
    released by an impact, even if only a fraction of
    it goes into blast and a thermal pulse, the result
    of each will be devastating.

    >Is this all accounted for in your program?

    There is no reason for Glenn to account for claims
    that a simple reading of King (1976) and Melosh (1989)
    will easily refuted as being incorrect. The existence
    and magnitude of the effects that Diane Roy denies
    out of hand can be verified by looking through the
    articles in Geheris (1994).

    References Cited:

    Geheris, T., ed. (1994) Hazards Due to Comets and
    Asteroids. University of Arizona Press, Tuscon. 989 pp.

    King, D. A. (1976) Space Geology. Wiley and Sons,
    New York. 349 pp.

    Melosh, H. J. (1989) Impact cratering; a geologic process.
    Oxford Monographs on Geology and Geophysics. no. 11,
    Oxford University Press. Oxford, United Kingdom. 245 pp.

    Neathery, T. L., D. T. King, and L. W. Wolf (1997) The
    Wetumpka Impact Structure and Related Features. Guidebook
    Prepared for the Annual Meeting of the South Eastern
    Section, Geological Society of America. Alabama Geological
    Society, Tuscaloosa, Alabama.