Re: Ubiquitous humans

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 15:42:10 EST

    At 04:23 PM 2/28/00 EST, PHSEELY@aol.com wrote:
    >Is this because the surprise was over after Columbus? Since the ocean in NT
    >times and for some time afterward (even into the time of Columbus, I
    believe)
    >was considered too vast to be crossed, humans were not expected to exist on
    >remote shores---until Columbus discovered them. (It was after their
    discovery
    >that theories of pre-Adamites and of a "limited Flood" came into existence.)

    I don't beleive so. The voyage of Magellan surprised some because they
    brought people back to Europe who lived at the antipodes--a place some
    medieval christians thought no one lived. Some people early after Columbus'
    trip were trying to figure out if the Americans were really human.
    Afterall, the Bible didn't mention them and since no one knew of any
    descendant of Adam going to the New World (which was equally unknown tothe
    Bible). Some thought that the Americans were mere animals. Latourette writes:

    "In 1537 Pope Paul III came out with a bull in which he
    declared in unmistakable terms that the Indians were not
    brutes, but men who were competent to understand
    Christianity, and that they should not be deprived of their
    liberty or their property. Some Spaniards, while conceding
    that Indians should be baptized, held that they were so
    crude that they were unfit for the heavenly bread of the
    Eucharist and so denied them the privilege of communion, and
    also would not admit them to confession or administer to
    them the viaticum. However, the weight of official opinion
    was against these restrictions. In 1658 Pope Alexander VII
    condemned them." Kenneth Scott Latourette, Three Centuries
    of Advance, in A History of the Expansion of Christianity,
    (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1967), p. 90-91

    And to solve the problem of how children of Adam reached the New World, I
    quote myself:

    "The monogenists needed an explanation of how Indians arrived in America.
    Jose de Acosta proposed it in 1589. He simply said that Indians had walked
    from Asia to America. This suggestion was made 136 years before the
    discovery of the Bering Strait. And in a real sense it was a successful
    Biblical prediction based upon the presupposition that humanity was of one
    origin." Glenn R. Morton, Foundation, Fall and Flood, 3rd ed. (The
    Woodlands: DMD Publishing Co., 1999), p. 100

    For references for this--buy the book :-)

    And when you come to think of it, it is pretty amazing that humans were the
    most widespread mammal species on earth along with his comrades the dog and
    the rat.
    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology