Re: Fw: the "image of God"

From: Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 22:05:31 EST

    Russell Maatman wrote:

    >It seems to me that on this listserv, of all listservs, everyone should
    >begin with the assumption that Creation includes more than that which can
    >be scientifically examined. That "more" can be intimately associated with
    >the part of Creation amenable to scientific activity. And so it is not
    >surprising that the sum of all the human behaviors we can list is not
    >equivalent to the image of God which human beings bear.

    I think we English-speaking human beings have difficulty converting Hebrew,
    especially ancient Hebrew, into our own language. Perhaps if we read that
    God said, "let us go down and make a man who will represent us," we could
    more easily grasp the concept. Totems on poles represented gods to the
    native Americans. And Adam represented God on earth. Adam's son, Seth,
    apparently was appointed by his father to represent him when men came to
    call upon the name of the Lord.

    Cain represented nobody. Neither did any of his descendants. The
    Sumerians living in the region represented nobody. Proto-Maatmans and
    proto-Fischers living who-knows-where were not appointed by God to
    represent Him on earth. No gentiles living anywhere could be called God's
    representatives until Christ made salvation available to us. Christ was in
    the image of God. Followers of Christ have claim to being God's
    representatives on earth by virtue of their faith, not as a birth right.

    So let's look at some individuals and see what fits. Take Judas Escariot,
    Attilla the Hun, Adolph Hitler, and Glenn Morton, for example. For those
    who believe that all human beings represent God, then all four qualify.
    For those who believe that Adamic descent is necessary, than Judas is in,
    Attilla, Adolph and Glenn are out. For those who believe as I do that the
    "image of God" is more about a heart condition, rather than "who's your
    daddy," then Glenn alone bears the image. The rest do not.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."