Re: worshipping an oil company

From: dfsiemensjr@juno.com
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 13:58:29 EST

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 20:19:02 +0000 glenn morton <mortongr@flash.net>
    writes:

    > Two things: I enjoyed writing the oil company example and it was a
    > response
    > not to you but to David and his definition of religion, not Luther's
    > or
    > yours. So I don't think you could have saved me writing the example.
    >

    > glenn

    It's like Glenn to describe himself as an idolater and then try to
    wriggle out of it. It won't work. Indeed, the situation is far worse than
    indicated so far because of what the medievals called _consequentia
    mirabilis_, the amazing conclusion, namely, that every statement follows
    validly from a contradiction. Unless he now denies both being an idolater
    and a theist in favor of strict pantheism, his every statement is true,
    including all impossibilities. The problem arises through his claim that
    the days of Genesis 1:1-2:3 are days of divine announcement before the
    creation, that is, the announcement of the _UrIPO_. This requires time
    before there could be time, measurement of time in the timeless. The only
    way out that I see, in the contemporary understanding of creation, is
    requiring that this announcement occurred sometime in the eternal
    mass-energy before the Big Bang bubble began to develop. This requires
    the deity to be within the pre-universe (or whatever one may call the
    state before our universe began), which is a form of pantheism. This
    might be rendered consistent and avoid the otherwise inexorable
    _consequentia mirabilis_.

    IMO, Glenn is right in denying that the days of Genesis are the schedule
    of production. But his remedy is worse than 144-hour creationism. It only
    denies science, but he makes reason impossible.

    Dave