Fw: Fw: Trying again

From: Russell Maatman (rmaat@mtcnet.net)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 15:16:26 EST

    To the ASA group:

    Glenn Morton wrote on Thursday, February 10, 2000 3:22 PM,

    > At 03:19 PM 2/10/00 -0600, Russell Maatman wrote:
    > >Glenn and other ASAers:
    > >
    > >My family's experiences in the South were similar to yours. But I come
    to a
    > >different conclusion. A candidate for Governor of our state said in
    > >campaign speeches to racist crowds that all you had to do was "look at
    > >'them'" and you'd be sure they were not human. He was applying just the
    > >test I claim should not be applied: don't decide on humanity using
    > >appearances. His "them" were people who bore God's image because they
    were
    > >Adam's descendants--and they therefore were human. On the "intellectual"
    > >level, the university newspaper cited Anthropologist Carlton Coon to
    prove
    > >that blacks are 200,000 years behind whites in their evolution. (Because
    of
    > >our activities in the civil rights movement, we were shunned, received
    > >anonymous phone calls, and were figuratively but not literally chased
    out
    > >of the state.)
    >
    > I can sympathise. But my background was not as noble as yours.

    I wouldn't use "noble" to describe my background. After all, when we moved
    south we were notherners completely convinced that segregation was wrong. I
    came by that attitude slowly as I grew up, but my wife came from old
    American family that had exhibited "equality" in the best sense of the word
    for generations. For example, she had an ancestor who ran an underground
    railroad station during the Fugitive Slave Law period just prior to the
    Civil War. So when we moved south, we were thrust into a situation we had
    to oppose; there was no choosing or soul-searching. I shouldn't inject
    politics into this, but we were even less heroic than a pilot taken into
    captivity by the enemy.

    > Often after
    > big cultural changes like the civil rights movement, it becomes hard to
    > find people who were against it. But I will be honest about my
    background,
    > good and bad. My family was against it. No one bothered to try to shun us
    > out of the south. I am distantly related to the Lee family of
    > Virginia(Robert was a cousin of some sort). My great grandfather lost 5
    of
    > 7 sons on the side of the South. I was reared to be proud of my southern
    > heritage, and I am. But my parents were as racist as anyone in the south
    > (and at age 14, I was also). My brother was 18 years old and manager of
    > Ardmore, Oklahoma's swimming pool the summer the Civil Rights Bill was
    > passed. He got two calls that day. One was from the NAACP telling him
    that
    > if he didn't let blacks swim tomorrow that there would be trouble. The
    > other from the local KKK telling him that if he did let them swim, they
    > would get him. Gary was very troubled that night at dinner. To my racist
    > dad's credit (and my surprise) he told my brother to obey the new law.
    >
    > One reason this approach bothers me so much is that I have enough black
    > friends to know what they will see in such a theory. I also know enough
    > racists to know how they will use it. Those people scare me.

    > >I am not able to go into details concerning your last paragraph. But I
    have
    > >a feeling that here too you are deciding humanity on physical grounds.
    >
    > ACtually I define humanity behaviorally. I don't care what they look
    like.
    > A human could have been a 3 headed lizard as long as those 3 heads behave
    > in a human fashion. Because of my preference for defining humanity by
    > behavior, I can include fossil men who look quite different from us.
    There
    > is no difference in this approach than in the approach that eventually
    lead
    > most of us southerners to finally give up our racist ways.

    I have been rather surprised that you make a distinction between "how a
    being looks" and "how a being behaves" in deciding on the question of
    humanity.

    > >> There is. If I can't use a person's behavior to determine if he is
    > >bearing
    > >> the image of God, then exactly what do I use? How can I tell that YOU
    > >bear
    > >> the image of God? Does an atheist bear the image of God? How do I
    know.
    > >> Maybe the fact that he is an atheist is evidence that he doesn't
    possess
    > >> the image of God?
    > >
    > >The difference between a Christian and an atheist is Christ restores the
    > >broken image of the Christian but not the broken image of the atheist
    (Rom.
    > >8:29).
    >
    > I haven't seen you define 'imageo Dei'. Without a clear definition of
    what
    > it is, rather than who you think has it, subjectivity will reign in its
    > application. Racists will use it as they want with others using it in
    other
    > ways.

    Since we began this discussion a few days ago, I have been wondering (I'm
    not surrendering any of my beliefs here!) what would happen if I dropped
    "image of God" in the argument and merely insisted that human beings are
    all the descendants of Adam and Eve, and that there never have been any
    other human beings. For fundamental theological reasons I wanted to use the
    image of God concept, but in this particular argument it has seemed to be a
    stumbling block.

    > >> Or does race come into play here? After all, since we
    > >> humans received our our image as a result of being descended from
    Adam,
    > >we
    > >> also received genetic inheritance from Adam. Thus, the image must be
    > >> related to our genetic inheritance.
    > >
    > >Oops. I'm not convinced your "Thus" is logical.
    >
    > Obviously the image descends to us from Adam. No other beings have it.
    Even
    > you admitted that only Adam's descendants have the image. If the image
    > isn't somehow impressed in our heritage then descent can't be involved in
    > the image. In such a case, my cat might bear the image of God. That
    being
    > said, what is impressed on us via descent must somehow involve behavior
    > which is also genetically transmitted. I have seen some of my parent's
    > worst behaviors in me and in my children.
    >

    > >> Because of this, if there are people
    > >> who look like us and act like us but are not human, then we can treat
    > >them
    > >> as we wish. Are blacks without the image? What about the Chinese or
    > >> American indians To me this opens a terrible terrible door. I know you
    do
    > >> not hold these views, but they are the implications of what you
    advocate
    > >here.
    > >
    > >Very likely if you do not understand me, it is my fault. Without doubt,
    you
    > >and I would agree 100% were we to decide on which contemporary beings
    are
    > >human. Why? Surely not on looks. Because we'd be convinced they are
    > >descended from Adam.
    >
    > I have no doubt that we would include every human on earth today as a
    child
    > of Adam. But what if it is proven (as some anthropologists contend) that
    > Australians are descended from Asian erectus--maybe being a mixture of
    > out-of-Africa sapiens with erectus inheritance also? Are we then to say
    > they don't carry the image of God? Are we to say they only have half of
    it?
    > I would approach it backwards. I would be convinced of their humanity
    > because of their behavior first. From that I would then conclude that
    they
    > are descended from Adam.
    >
    > Gorillas don't behave like people in spite of their general similarity to
    > people. It isn't their knucklewalking that makes them nonhuman--it is
    > there lack of human behavior. I have known people who had no legs and a
    > terribly deformed body. They did some sort of knucklewalking. But they
    were
    > human because in the important ways they acted like people. They could
    > talk, they could worship, they could pray, etc. Behavior is what defines
    > who has the image of God, not physical appearance.
    >
    > >> Do any of these non-human beings exist today? after all you say that
    they
    > >> interbred with the real humans, which is the reference to the
    nephilim.
    > >> The nephilim are mentioned after the flood and thus must live today.
    Who
    > >> are they?
    > >
    > >Concerning contemporary beings: I wonder if we do not see faint
    glimmerings
    > >of the unusual abilities which once existed among non-humans in some an
    > >imals of the present day.
    >
    > I don't understand this.
    >

    > >> Sorry, Russ, I will fight this with everything I can muster. The only
    way
    > >> to avoid the implications of this is to posit Adam way back in
    history. I
    > >> know Christians are loathe to do that, but it is the only way to avoid
    > >the
    > >> problems I see with the view you advocate and still match the data of
    > >> anthropology. If Adam lived before our genetic split into races, then
    we
    > >> are all descendants of Adam. Otherwise, we aren't.
    > >> glenn
    > >
    > >Glenn, I don't necessarily disagree with your claim of a flood of six
    > >million years ago. I followed that thread a few years ago with great
    > >interest. So it may be that every being you claim to have been human was
    > >actually human. What I disagree with is the method of decdiing that
    point.

    > Fair enough. But I would ask you to define the image of God. That would
    be
    > a great starting point for further discussion. I can't really see that
    you
    > have defined anything except descent from Adam as the mark of the Image.

    See my comment above on the use of the image of God in this discussion.

    Russ

    Russell Maatman
    e-mail: rmaat@mtcnet.net
    Home: 401 5th Avenue