Re: Call for Help/Information

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 11:03:57 EST

    At 02:11 PM 1/15/00 -0500, Howard R. Meyer, Jr. wrote:
    >I'm looking for an exhaustive treatise chronicling the views held by
    >Christians and their Jewish forefathers related to how God created the
    >universe/world/life. I'm sure someone somewhere has done this, but
    >don't know where to look.

    I don't know of a comprehensive view, but I do have this tidbit which I
    posted to a private list I am on:

    I have often pointed out that Genesis 1 indicates evolution. I have found
    confirmation of this in the Jewish Commentator Nahmanides who lived in the
    1200s prior to the advent of evolution. He said:

    'AND G-D SAID: 'LET THE EARTH PUT FORTH GRASS.' He decreed that there be
    among the products of the earth a force which grows and bears seed so that
    the species should exist forever. It is possible that the name 'earth'
    mentioned in the first verse already contains a hint that a force which
    causes things to grow should spring up from the earth, and it was from this
    force that the foudnations of all vegetations according to their kinds
    emanated." Ramban(Nachmanides), Commentary on the Torah, Transl. by Charles
    B. Chavel, (New York: Shilo Publishing Co. 1971), p.40

    It would seem that we have missed the fact that God told the water to bring
    forth fish and birds and the earth to bring forth plants and animals. We
    act as if God directly created these when in fact he indirectly created
    them by having land and water bring forth life!

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm