Re: Quantum Entanglement

From: Massie (mrlab@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 00:29:09 EST

    Wayne Dawson wrote:

    > Hi Bert,
    >
    > just a few notes....
    >
    > ***
    > > ...... Materialists grab any new news as good news
    > > about the death of God. The current good news is the discovery of
    > > life at high temperatures and pressures beneath the earth and
    > > therefore this is the origin of life. Whay happened to the High
    > > School DOGMA of prebiotic soup and duckly little tide pools?
    > *****
    >
    > An interesting note here.... There is an interesting article in
    > Science in which the data set of rRNA was studied to understand the
    > phylogeny. It basically rules out the likelihood of thermophilic
    > origins of life.
    >
    > ``We favor the notion that extant hyperthermophilic species evolved
    > from mesophilic organisms via adaptation to high temperature. We
    > argue that the short branches leading to thermophilic lineages do not
    > reflect any affinity with the ancestor, but are the consequence of
    > increased selective pressure acting on rRNA molecules of thermophilic
    > species.'' (N. Galtier, et al. ``A nonhyperthermophilic Common
    > Ancestor to Extant Life Forms'', Science, 283:220-1 (1999))
    >
    > I should point out that GC does form a stronger H-bond and therefore a
    > thermodynamically more stable sequence. Since rRNA is a functional
    > entity, it must preserve that function in the environment it occupies.
    > It would actually be better to study sequences that code for proteins
    > since (in principle) the environmental temperature is not as likely to
    > strongly bias the nucleotide sequence (unless you are one of those who
    > believes in exon definition).
    >
    > ***************
    > > The interesting thing about quantum physics is that the wave
    > > equations are perfectly predicticle but the interaction of a
    > > particle is not. So, we have an apparant injection of
    > > non-determinancy into the physical world. The extension of this to
    > > the creation of the universe is appalingly bad physics. Consider
    > > that these fluctuatins which lead to the Hawking radiation are at a
    > > microscopic level and are essentially forbidden at the level of the
    > > Universe. What was the last time you saw a large object such as a
    > > car tunnel (in the quantum since) through a brick wall? It happens
    > > all the time at the electron level however.
    > ***************
    >
    > One thing that still puzzles me....
    >
    > We can creat complex entities like a proton/antiproton pairs via
    > collision with other matter, so a proton beam can pound a piece of BN
    > and produce pions ($\pi^+/pi^-$). Using matter to produce other
    > matter is fine. Moreover, using energy to interact with a virtual
    > particle field and subsequently creating different matter which is
    > even non-fundamental (such as a pion) in fine. Yet all this requires
    > at least the presence of energy or other matter to even begin any
    > discussion of the results of such interaction. The adage ``twice
    > nothing is still nothing'' applies, IIRC.

> [...]
    **************
    1) There is a fundamental relationship in quantum fluctions between size
    and likelyhood. The larger the fluctuation, the smaller the
    probability. The decrease in probability is substantial even at the
    size of an atom much less a baseball. Quantum fluctions are just that,
    fluctions at the level where quantum effects are significant.

    2) Infinite universes popping into and out of existence is first beyond
    detection. Second, it is not based on any extrapolation from know
    physics. It is speculation period and generally sourced from a desire
    to have an infinity since the infamous bouncing universe of Sagan is not
    firmly rulled out.

    Bert M.