Re: Your book review in PERSPECTIVES, page 222, of Morton's

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 21:03:30 -0500

At 09:31 AM 8/24/98 -0500, J. McKiness wrote:
>My thoughts (and those in the literature on the subject) are that
>seasonal migration probably played a role in the northermost extension
>of hominid and later human ranges. Even today we do not maintain human
>occupation at the highest latitudes that humans occupy in summer (except
>in special lab habitats).

This isn't true. Inuits have occupied northern Alaska for centuries. They
lived along the pack ice capturing seals, even in the winter. And there
were lots of Native Americans living in very cold parts of Canada during
the winter. And the Siberian tribes like the Gilyaks, Tungis and others
lived in Siberia year round. They didn't need our labs. Their technology
was very good for creating warmth.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood