Re: Something must change

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 07:24:56 -0400

Glenn R. Morton wrote:

> This whole Idea that the Bible can be true without any objective truth

Of course I never said this.

> leads me to the conclusion that the Koran can be true (and indeed there is
> much truth in it) and the Bhagavadgita can be true all at the same time,
> Shinto can be true, the bearcults of the Siberian forests can be true.
> Thus the Bible is equivalent to all other non-propositional but true
> religions. Since they all teach truth we can chose the one we want to
> beleive. Why would a person looking at all the different religions chose
> Christianity?

Because the claim that we are totally incapable of justifying
ourselves before God, that God shared our sinful condition to the point
of death so that we can be justified freely, is qualitatively different
from other religions. People who apostasize because of doubts about
the flood &c have never had a firm grasp of what Christianity is all
about, however much they may have thought that certain facts were true.

> Two questions. Why don't you simply admit that the story is a pile of the
> stuff left by cattle herds here in Texas instead of deciding it is really
> true inspite of all the evidence to the contrary?

Anyone who thinks that Jonah is pure BS if it isn't historically
accurate doesn't know how to read.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com