Re: Something must change

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:19:10 -0400

Glenn R. Morton wrote:

> At 09:58 PM 8/19/98 -0400, George Murphy wrote:
> >Glenn R. Morton wrote:
> >> The writer of Genesis, unlike the Gospel writers, didn't preface the Flood
> >> account with 'And he spake a parable unto them," Luke 6:39.
> >
> > & often the gospels don't - e.g., there is no statement in Lk.10:29-37
> that the
> >account of the Good Samaritan is a parable. But that isn't the point
> anyway.
>
> And it very well might have been a real event. I would imagine that there
> were some very nice Samaritans who would help out a person in trouble.
>
> Truth can
> >be conveyed via fiction. What would you think of the man who wanted to
> "justify
> >himself" if, after Jesus told this story, he said "Duh, you still haven't
> told me who my
> >neighbor is"? Why did the scribes and chief priests want to arrest Jesus
> for telling
> >the parable of the vineyard & wicked tenants (Lk.20:9-19)? It was just a
> story, wasn't
> >it?
> > Note that this doesn't at all answer the question of whether or not any
> >given account is historically accurate, fictional, or some combination of
> the two. My
> >only pont here is that truth can be conveyed by other means than accurate
> historical
> >narrative, sometimes by accounts which look superficially like historical
> narrative, &
> >that the Bible does in fact use such techniques.
>
> I don't disagree that truth can be conveyed via fiction.

Then why your above comment that the Good Samaritan "might have been" a real
event? Of course, but that makes no difference at all. You still seem to be missing
the point that in some (N.B.) cases the historicity of an account is 100% irrelevant to
the issue of its truth in the way it's supposed to function.

> But that doesn't
> mean anything about a particular passage.

That's just what I said.

--
George L. Murphy
gmurphy@imperium.net