RE: Something must change

Rasmussen, Ryan J. (Ryan.Rasmussen@mcnamee.com)
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:20:50 -0400

I guess it all starts with a person's assumptions on what the Bible is
and how much direction God gave in the writing of it. Was the hand of
man guided in what was written? Or, were the authors simply inspired
with the general teachings that God wanted them to convey and then given
room to add a little "nonsense" here and there about vegetarianism,
great floods, the stopping of the earth for a day? That would require
each of us to "lean on our own understanding" in sifting through what
the Bible says in order to separate "truth" from the author's lack of
understanding of the natural world.

To tell you the truth, I subscribe to this listserve because I simply
have questions. I come here to see what people from all different areas
of knowledge and experience have to say about the Bible and science.
All my life I was TOLD to believe the Bible was meant to be read a
certain way by a fundamentalist church. Two years ago I couldn't in
good conscience believe those teachings anymore (the earth was created
in 6 days, evolution is evil, the flood was global, etc. etc...) and
simply gave up on what I felt at the time was the majority of my belief.

Some people refer to this as a crisis... for me it was an awakening. I
only held to the very core of my belief: God exists and He has the
power to show me the truth. At that point I simply started praying and
whole-heartedly searching for God and asking for wisdom. After a lot of
work I have finally made it to listserves such as this where intelligent
thought and ideas are shared openly. There is no condemnation for
"wrong" theories but civil discussion as to why the theory isn't or
might not be correct. Steel sharpens steel.

You already seem to "know" what God intended the Bible to be and its
"obvious" limitations. Well, I don't. And I'm far from the position
you seem to be at, having reached a comfortable state in how to
reconcile science with scripture. I have a restlessness in me that does
not accept just giving up on what the Bible says and simply use my
"competent scholarship and sound judgment" in determining fact from
fiction.

I don't know what other people's intentions are for subscribing to this
listserve whether it be a "lusting after the kind of certitude" you
speak of or not. I am here to help remove a stumbling block in my faith
in the Word of God. I don't particularly care what "those outside the
faith" perceive my questioning as, because my faith is exactly that...
MY faith... not theirs. I'm simply asking questions and listening to
discussions in order to form my own opinion on just how much of a
conflict there is (or isn't) between the Bible and "competent
scholarship and sound judgment". Sure, these questions may generate
"...puzzles, problems, conflicts, debates, shouting matches,
denominational splits, and other forms of both pain and nonsense." If
they do, so be it.

I'm here to reach a comfortable state in my faith and strengthen my
relationship with God and His Word. At this point in my search, I
simply choose to have more trust in the ability of God to write a book
which would speak truthfully to all ages of mankind, from the shepherd
of Herod's time to the astro-physicist of today. Maybe I'm right, maybe
you're right... maybe we're both wrong... but I pray that God gives me
the wisdom to eventually know the truth. And if truth is not meant to
be found by me... at least give my spirit comfort and quench this desire
for resolution.

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it
shall be opened unto you..."

In Christ,
Ryan Rasmussen