Re: swallowing mercury

Steven Schimmrich (schimmrich@earthlink.net)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 00:34:41 -0400

At 10:48 PM 8/10/98 -0600, Bill Payne wrote:
>Jonathan Clarke wrote:
>
>> Twenty five minutes using the Georef CD-ROMs identified some 136 matches
>> between the terms coal, Carboniferous, Pennsylvanian, Mississippian,
>> Stygmaria, paleosol, seat earth, underclay, and paleosol for literature
>> published in the years 1875-1998.
>
> How do I get a set of the Georef CD-ROMs?

Visit a decent university library and ask the reference librarian.

>> There is thus a considerable body of literature that presents evidence for
>> in situ growth of Carboniferous coals. Even if this interpretation proves
>> wrong, these data must be dealt with before alternative hypotheses are
>> presented.
>
> I disagree. I think the alternative hypotheses should be forcefully
> presented and the two models allowed to compete in the literature.

Then you better hope I never review your papers. I would insist that
someone presenting a controversial model discuss possible objections to
that model and demonstrate a clear knowledge of evidence contrary to their
model. So would most reviewers.

- Steve.

--
   Steven H. Schimmrich