Re[2]: study teleology?

Gladwin Joseph (josephg@ccmail.orst.edu)
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 23:31:45 -0700

Dear folks,

As a Biologist (a tree physiologist to be specific) I find that
functional `descriptions' of biological systems are pregnant with
purpose not necessarily theistic purpose. Theistic purpose is
revealed through faith which at its essence is an unknowable
mystery and does not belong to the domain of biological
systems. AS a Christian i marvel at God's wisdom and
knowledge revealed in the intricate interactions of structure
and function in this majestic Creation. But this is only through the
work of the Holy Spirit not through the excercise of any of my
biological systems alone.

In my limited understanding of Teleology, I cannot develope a
hypothesis without assuming that the system functions with purpose.
In other words every time i ask the question why? for ex. why do
gymnosperms have tracheids and not vessels? I inevitably assume a
function/purpose/reason and that directs my questions. I fail to
understand a nonteleological approach in functional biology or for
that matter even in evolutionary biology.

Please help me out here.

thanks

gladwin
josephg@fsl.orst.edu