Re: Question for George (was Re: Vast Majorities...)

Rodney Dunning (dunnirb4@darth.phy.wfu.edu)
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 10:33:28 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Murphy wrote:

> Rodney Dunning wrote:
>
> > When you write "God is doing these things," do you mean to
> > imply that God is in direct control over everything that happens in this
> > world (physically speaking)? Or does "divine action" refer only to the
> > sacrements?
>
> God acts in everything that happens in the world. {How to think
> of God's "concurrence" with evil actions of people has always been
> recognized as one of the most difficult questions of theology & I skip
> that now!]

I wouldn't want to tackle it either, but this is really the major point
isn't it? If God "acts" in everything, including tornadoes, drunk drivers
and such, then our theology can't ignore this. How can we say he
does without a working understanding of how he does so, and yet still
remains holy? Isn't it possible that these things just happen, and that
God has no real involvement in them? Perhaps I've misunderstood you.

Rodney Dunning
e-mail: dunnirb4@wfu.edu
voice: 910-759-4977 or 910-759-4980
fax: 910-759-6142