Re: More on Iraq National Museum Tragedy

From: Jay Willingham (jaywillingham@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 00:02:38 EDT

    Happy Easter. He is Risen, He is Risen, indeed!

    In a time of war, I would not want to spend soldiers' blood protecting
    bricks and mortar, even if they bore the brush strokes of Michelangelo.

    Policemen and warriors are distinctly different.

    From what I have read elsewhere, the valuable pieces were long gone from the
    museums by the time our troops got there. They were taken by people who had
    the keys and knew exactly what to take. Some paintings have been recovered
    at the Syrian border, so there may still be hope.

    Hopefully and prayerfully, you are right and some of the antiquities from
    Iraq will emerge when law and order prevails again in the Fertile Crescent.
    During WWII, art from the great museums was stored in the basements of the
    Biltmore House in the mountains of WNC to protect it from attacks on
    Washington, DC.

    Jay